General: The purpose of the Captain Richard Phillips Lane Kirkland Maritime Trust Strategic Plan is to establish the planned goals, as well as direct key actions required to ground the organization over the coming period from 2019-2024. The Plan provides a framework designed to enable the focus and fulfillment of the Trust’s mission for the near, immediate and long term. All aspects of the Strategy will be reviewed frequently and adjusted as necessary to ensure achievable goals are met and outcomes optimized.
The Strategic Plan for The Trust focuses on producing measurable and achievable results which are consistent with the Organization’s stated mission and vision. These outcomes will move the Organization forward to establish and build on the level of impact and will help focus and prioritize the employment of our finite resources (to include personal and organizational energy, time and finances) on the strategic outcomes we seek to bring about. This plan is a building block for a series of plans, ultimately leading to fulfillment of the long-term vision.
The Organization’s formation: The Organization came into being in order to provide “one voice” or a coordinated approach to consistently address the current and future needs across the full spectrum of the US Maritime Industry, and vigilantly raise and maintain the awareness of the maritime labor’s significant contributions to the Nation and our national security.
Mission of the Captain Richard Phillips
Lane Kirkland Maritime Trust
Promote the long-term strength of the United States Maritime Industry and the U.S. Merchant Marine through a three pronged approach: (1) generate public awareness of our national maritime heritage and its importance to national security; (2) assist individuals in the pursuit of a career in the maritime or related industries; and (3) effectively advocate for public policy and efforts which ensure the overall viability of the industry and its workforce.
Become a “Best in Class” standard-bearing organization, holistically serving the Maritime Industry and its people and honoring our national heritage as a maritime nation.
Key actions the Trust will undertake to achieve the mission and vision:
- Consistently work to preserve and increase public awareness and understanding of the maritime industry and its labor by funding and conducting research, and supporting, sponsoring and participating in public events associated with the industry.
- Invest in key efforts that enhance the image and reputation, and promote the long-term stability of the industry and the US Merchant Marine, as well as, preserving its heritage and unique contributions to the nation’s security. This will include, but is not limited to:
- Collecting and preserving the history, memorabilia and artifacts of the industry and its labor and supporting other organizations making similar efforts.
- Support labor by:
- Promoting education of the general public, government agencies and civic officials about the importance and contributions and sacrifice of labor.
- Providing grants and scholarships for education and certifications.
- Supporting workforce initiatives and policies to strengthen the US Merchant Marine.
- Actively build cooperative partnerships, which strengthen the industry, its labor and the mission of the Trust.
- Publicly recognize individuals, associations, organizations, companies and any other entities that demonstrate outstanding achievements and enhance shared mission or vision such as the education of mariners, or the sacrificial and significant contributions of the industry and its labor.
The Board and the Leadership of the Trust will maintain the highest standards of integrity and stewardship in all that we do and will continuously seek to improve our Organization and its impact.